Some people witness tooth pain on eating anything hot, cold, or sweet. This pain can get uncontrollable and there might be an urgent need to visit the dentist in case of severe Tooth Pain. There might be multiple reasons for tooth pain:
- Tooth sensitivity
- Deep cavity
- Injury to the tooth
- Severely damaged/ decayed tooth
- Tooth sensitivity: All types of tooth pain might not be because of decay. If one experiences a shocking type of pain which lasts for less than 2 minutes, it may be due to tooth sensitivity. This might be due to a thin outer layer of the tooth(enamel) or due to gums receding and exposing the lower layer of the tooth.Here one should use sensitivity toothpaste. Moreover, one should take care of the gums by getting regular teeth cleaning and polishing.
- Deep cavity: Deep cavity results due to untreated caries that has reached the pulp of the tooth. The pulp of the tooth contains nerve endings and blood vessels and if the infection spreads till the pulp it can cause severe tooth pain. It is best to restore decay at an early stage with tooth fillings and prevent oneself from root canal treatments. Tooth Fillings not only restores the infected tooth but also prevents the decay from spreading further.
In traditional times tooth fillings were made of silver looking material called as amalgam. Now, with modernization and people becoming more aware about the aesthetics, tooth colored fillings are generally preferred. These fillings are available in multiple shades and with shade matching a very close shade to the tooth is selected. These fillings not only provide good aesthetics but also provide good strength and durability.
Types of tooth colored fillings: Composite fillings and GIC fillings.
- Injury to the tooth: Injury to the oral cavity and the teeth can lead to a phenomenon called as cracked tooth. Cracked Tooth can lead to exposure of the inner layers of the tooth (dentin and the pulp) which can cause severe pain on eating anything hot, cold, sweet, or even with a brush of cold air. In this case it is best to visit a dentist. A dentist might advise a root canal or a Tooth Extraction in case of severe decay. In case of a root canal, the pulp is extracted from the teeth and then the tooth is protected with the help of a crown.
It is important to protect a root canal treated tooth with a crown as the tooth becomes brittle post root canal and is prone to fracture.
- Severely damaged/ decayed tooth:
If the tooth is severely damaged/decayed and there is minimal tooth structure remaining, a dentist might take an X-ray and advise tooth extraction. Tooth Extraction is done under local anesthesia, but sometimes methods like conscious sedation might be used. In case of severe infection, an antibiotic and painkiller coverage might be advised pre-andpost tooth extraction. Sutures might or might not be required post extraction.
Once the tooth is extracted, the area should be given some time to heal. Post that it is important that one fills the gap and replaces the tooth with artificial means. Not restoring the missing tooth can lead to severe dental problems like the neighboring teeth tilting in the space, the opposing teeth might overgrow to occupy the empty space thus loosening it, food lodgment causing decay in the neighboringteeth, etc.