Dental Examination and Consultation
Do we ever wonder why our dentist recommends us to come back every six months?
It’s because regular dental visits are very important for maintaining healthy teeth and gums. In between these examinations, it’s important that we work to keep our teeth and gums clean and healthy.
What does a regular Dental Checkup include?
One part of dental examination includes checking teeth for tooth decay. The dentist will evaluate the health of your teeth and gums. The dentists will also pay special attention to plaque and tartar. The reason being plaque and tartar can build up in a very short time if good oral hygiene is not practiced between visits. Food, beverages and tobacco can stain teeth as well. If not removed, soft plaque can harden on the teeth and irritate the gum tissue. If not treated, plaque can lead to gum disease.
The Dental Examination
The dentist will assess the state of your teeth and gums by:
- Examining the gums
- Looking for signs of gum disease
- Checking for loose teeth
- Examining your tongue
- Checking your bite
- Looking for visual evidence of tooth decay
- Checking for broken teeth
- Checking for damaged fillings
- Looking for changes in the gums covering teeth
- Evaluating any dental appliance you have
- Checking the contact between your teeth
- Taking X-rays
The Dental Cleaning
During the final part of the dental visit, the dentist cleans your mouth using these methods:
- Examining the cleanliness of our teeth and gums
- Removing accumulated plaque and tartar (if any)
- Polishing your teeth
- Reviewing recommended brushing and flossing techniques
Once our examination and cleaning have been completed, they’ll tell us about the health of your teeth and gums and then make additional recommendations. It’s important that we see our dentist every six months and that they do routine examination and cleaning. By seeing a dentist on a regular basis and following daily good oral hygiene practices at home, we can keep our teeth and gums healthy.
Finding us is as easy as
Typing in The Little Box Below